Members of the school community at Talbot Heath gathered for the official opening of the Vernon-Browne Sports Pavilion during Junior Sports Day this week. The pavilion, which stands on the sports field, was named after the former Head of Sport at the school Miss Wendy Vernon-Browne OBE. RD. She gave 39 years of service at Talbot Heath from 1954-1993, and a proportion of her life was devoted to the Royal Naval Wren Reserves. In 1982, in recognition of her work as Chief Wren, she was awarded an O.B.E.
Financed by fundraising from the Parents Staff Society, the Sports Faculty, and with particular assistance from the Drewitt family, it was at the latter’s behest that it be named after Miss Vernon-Browne due to her inspirational teaching at the school. Miss Vernon-Browne cut the ribbon at the opening ceremony, which followed a morning celebrating the varied talents of the girls in track and field events. The school continues to be very proud of it sports record nationally: it is ranked number 1 in the UK, for the third year, in tennis, and girls regularly compete and represent the school in 16 different sports at a national level. Particular thanks go to the parents and staff who have donated and funded, and further thanks go to the commitment of the sports staff, past and present, which has inspired the many sportswomen at the school.