At Talbot Heath, we are very blessed to be situated in the middle of 6 hectares of pine woodland. These woods have been enjoyed by pupils over the past 136 years.
Our Forest School is run by our own qualified Forest School Leader who delivers sessions from Kindergarten to Y6 with a flexible drop-in style Woodland Wellbeing club for Senior School pupils during their lunch break, once a fortnight. We are blessed to have two Forest Schools areas. The main site where we are able to run a full Forest School programme and a smaller Forest School trail which is used for EYFS children to give them a sense of the woodland in a secure smaller area.
Our Forest School programme enables our children to grow and progress in all areas of their development: social; emotional; physical; academic and spiritual. In particular, through Forest School our aim is to support each child in developing:
- Self-regulation and the ability to assess and manage risk
- Intrinsic motivation and a love of learning
- Empathy, co-operation and awareness of others
- Good communication and listening skills
- A positive mental attitude, self-esteem and confidence
- Physical development
- Problem solving and reasoning
- Improved ownership, knowledge and understanding of natural environment